Wednesday 15 August 2012

The Out Run Serial Number Project

I've been a proud owner of an upright Out Run arcade machine for a good 12 or more years now, and after all this time it's still one of my favourite games.

It features great graphics (for the time), a selection of stunning music tracks, and offers the type of gaming that's ideal for short bursts, when you've got a spare 5 or 10 minutes to kill.

When I purchased the machine I noticed that in the corner of the screen bezel, under the monitor glass, was an official Sega hologram serial number sticker, and it got me thinking "Just how many Out Runs are still out there and what stories do their owners have to tell?"

A thought was all this remained, until, a year or so back, I stumbled upon the Spectrum Serial Number Project over on the World of Spectrum Forums.

My thoughts returned to the Out Run serial number mystery, and this time I decided to do something about it, and so, over the past 18 months I've been contacting known Out Run owners, or people selling them on Ebay, in an effort to obtain the serial numbers and information about each machine.

I've currently got information relating to 11 different Out Run machines, and am always on the lookout for more.

The list can be found on my (very much under construction!) Retro Ranch web site, and you can get to the list directly by going HERE.

If you're an Out Run owner or know someone who is, and the machine's not currently listed, or has changed owners, please get in touch and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment